Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Bagels

Last Saturday morning, the girls and I finally got around to making bagels.  I had wanted to try my hand at homemade bagels, and after finding a fairly straightforward recipe on pinterest, we were set.  Actually, I tried to make these a couple of weeks ago but all we had at the time was all-purpose flour, so I had to make a trip to the store for bread flour.

The recipe I used is found here, so I won't rehash it except for captioning the photos.

Ada and Kate helping to roll the dough for their bagels into snakes.
The bagels rising.  Unfortunately, our house is a wee bit chilly on winter mornings, so the bagels didn't rise as well as I hoped they would. 
Boiling the bagels. 
I made 6 cinnamon and sugar bagels and 2 with an asiago/Italian cheese mix.
Ada is helping to clean up the plate of cinnamon and sugar...
After cooking the bagels for 10 minutes, it was time to flip them and bake them for another 10 minutes.
I added a little cheddar cheese to top off my bagels while Alison and the girls devoured the cinnamon and sugar coated bagels.

The bagels were delicious, although they were a little dense because they didn't rise long enough.  It was fun to make the bagels, but I was surprised by how long it took (remember, I'm a novice).  I think that Alison and the girls enjoyed their bagels with cinnamon and sugar, but nothing compares to the cheesy goodness of the cheese bagels.

3 comments:

T.Irwin said...

Awesome! I'm happy to see others trying the recipes they find on Pinterest.

I will try this recipe as well. Thanks for sharing. :)

Tim said...

Sounds TASTY!!!

Rachelle said...

Impressive!