Monday, August 24, 2015

Uganda - Getting There

Alison and I have not really done much international travel (something I'd like to change). My parents have been serving a mission in Africa and we found a great deal on flights and convinced some sainted family members back home to help watch the girls and we were off.


I think that our total travel time was around 27 hours.  Above are our flights both to and from Uganda, both directions we had layovers in Los Angeles and Amsterdam.


Here we are roarin' and ready to go.  By the end we didn't look so spry...


This was our airplane from LA to Amsterdam.  We had the unfortunate luck of being stuck in the middle of 5 seats, so it was not the most comfortable flight, but we lived through it.


The food on KLM was not terrible, but we were both more than sick of it after 4 meals in the air.


Alison enjoying some Dutch pastry in the Amsterdam airport.


Sunrise, sunset? who knows.


Airplane pizza.


Overall, the journey was fairly uneventful, just time-consuming and squishy.  When we arrived in Entebbe, Uganda it was around 10 PM and was humid and HOT!  Entebbe sits right on the edge of Lake Victoria and is about 30 minutes south of Kampala.  We waiting in line to go through an ebola health screening, then paid $100 each for a travel visa to enter the country.  We grabbed our luggage (which was full of American necessities and gifts for my parents) and then found my parents at the exit to the terminal.

This is the first picture that I took of Uganda, it is the parking lot at the airport after we just arrived.  The truck on the right is my parent's vehicle while here.

Tomorrow: We spent the morning in Kampala, then made our way to Jinja, at the headwaters of the Nile.

1 comment:

Alysia said...

I am excited to see all the pictures from your trip! The airplane food was not my favorite either.