Sunday, February 28, 2016

Uganda - The Last Day

Sadly, this was our last day in Uganda.  We spent the night at the Mission President's house, and we decided to head to the equator for the day.

I think it was about an hour drive.  There were a handful of shops around the equator that catered to the tourists where we bought a drum and some other mementos.

I'm always in the northern hemisphere in these pictures. I can't remember if I ever actually made it to the southern hemisphere.


Looking at the equator crossing the street.

Alison enjoying the fine Ugandan beverage.

We returned to Kampala (the capital city of Uganda) and visited the Sanyu Babies' Home, which is an orphanage for babies.

The orphanage is located on a small hill and has a beautiful of the city of Kampala.

The babies were all napping, so we started by hanging some wet laundry out to dry.

Sometimes, you've got to go up and use the loo.

The Church has made some donations to this orphanage over that last few years.  This is a cistern for collecting rainwater from the roofs.

Another view of the city.  We were blessed to be there on a beautiful day.

Once the babies started waking up, we were excited to help hold these little guys.

We still had some clothes to fold. We couldn't let the wee babies get in the way.

Alison and Isaac.

More babies.

There was a large hut where all of the cooking was done.  I showed interest in the ladies peeling the plantains, which are then cooked to form a mush called matoke, so they gave me a plate full of matoke and beans, which I didn't want, but had to respectfully force down...

This is me and Alison's good friend Isaac.

This is me and my good friend Joel.

Rocking our babies on the porch.  I tried to set Joel down a few times, but he was having none of it.  It was apparent that being held was a real treat for these kids. It wasn't until it was time for him to get his milk that he was willing to let me go.

Look at those smiles.

We left the Sanyu Babies' Home and started to make our way to the airport, which was in Entebbe, about 20 kilometers south of Kampala. We stopped at a market to pick up some digestive biscuits for Alison.

I looked for some Coke with my name on it, but I didn't have any luck.

Then we stopped at a restaurant that overlooks beautiful Lake Victoria for dinner before it was time to head to the airport to catch our long flight home.

We were sad to leave, but now that it's been about 11 months since this trip, my parents have actually been home for about 6 months.

Our flights on KLM took us through Amsterdam and LAX before finally making it happily to SLC to be reunited with our lovely girls. It was the trip of a lifetime!

No comments: