Friday, August 18, 2006

Huntsman Cancer Institute Golf Tournament

Well it was a pretty busy week this week. On Monday I spent the day at Thanksgiving Point hobnobbing with the stars. It was the annual Chairman's Tournament hosted by Ron Boone, and I was a volunteer. There were quite a few big names there from Michael Doleac (Miami Heat Center - who now has a championship ring) to Kevin Sorbo aka Hercules.

My dad and I spent the day on the 14th hole (the KJZZ hole) running the long drive competition. It seemed that every team that came through had at least one person capable of hitting the long ball. Most had more than one. The eventual winner of the long drive was a high school kid that drove about 350 yards. The second place drive (about 332 yards) was also hit by a high school kid. It's amazing that these kids could outdrive former and current NBA stars and NFL stars.

Here is a partial list of some of the names that I recognized from the tournament:
Arnie Ferrin (from the Utes 1944 NCAA championship team)
Bill Child (President of RC Willey's)
Bill Marcroft (former Ute announcer)
Tom Holmoe (BYU athletic director)
Gale Sayers (youngest inductee ever to the Pro football hall of fame, scored 6 TD's in one game, scored 22 TD's as a rookie, and on and on)
Nate Williams (former NBA player)
Ike Austin (former Jazzman)
Danny White (former Dallas Cowboy quarterback, Utah Blaze coach, Arizona athlete of the century)
Bubba Gilliam (from "Blazing Saddles")
Don Nelson (former Bucks, Mavericks, Warriors, Knicks coach, jersey retired as a Celtic, 3-time NBA coach of the year)

As you can see there were many stars. I don't get paid time-off at my job so I worked 4 ten-hour days to make up for my time off. If I had been able to volunteer on Tuesday as well then I would have also met Keith Van Horn (he's been there the last 2 years as well) and Julius Erving.

Ada is still doing well. She can be a little fussbucket in the evenings. I guess I need to regulate, eh?

No comments: