Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Changes (2)

Probably the second biggest change that we're experiencing is that I've recently started working full-time for my new employer Spectrum Engineers. I signed an employment contract with them about a month ago and I got my first salary paycheck this last weekend. I think that we're going to be able to get used to this.

Can I just tell you how much I love my job? Every day I get to do something different. Just this week I've been down to UVSC for some punchlisting on an almost completed Student Life Center (dedicated by Governor Huntsman yesterday), my boss then took me to lunch to Braza Grill (a lot like Rodizio Grill) and I finished up the day working on a Salt Lake County Solar Study.

Yesterday I got a quick job from an engineer in Texas. He needed a licensed Utah engineer (my boss, not me) to run the calculations and sign off on them. I ran the short circuit analysis and prepared a quick report and collected the whole fee (I won't tell you how much I made on that job, but let me just say that I was paid about 1 1/2 weeks of an intern's wages for 3 hours of work).

Today I spent the morning running some more calculations for the County report before riding up to one of the former Iomega buildings in Roy with another engineer (who also bought me lunch). Our client is going to remodel the building and turn it into a big call center. I field-checked the building and we attempted to determine the existing electrical service and equipment in order to begin our design.

The biggest downside to the job is definitely the hours. I've been working from 7:30-8:00 to 5:30-6:30 every day. I knew this job would require more hours than most other engineering jobs. There is so much for me to learn to get up to speed and I want to learn it all as quickly as possible. I really, really do love my job.

1 comment:

Cheryce said...

so you are saying that you work regular hours for most of us normal people? What a drag! Ha ha