Saturday, September 15, 2012

Houston #1

Warning: Travelogue ahead!
I had $400 to use on United Airlines before the middle of March from a travel delay last year, so in February Alison and I decided to take a trip to Houston to visit her sister Angie and her husband Hyrum.  We left Ada and Kate with family and our little 4 1/2 month old Lyla made the trip with us.
It was a short trip and there wasn't really anything that we were dying to do in Houston, so we took off to San Antonio the morning after we arrived.
 Maybe Texans frown upon riding their cannons?
The first stop in San Antonio was at the Alamo.  I think that PeeWee Herman ruined the Alamo for my generation.  I imagine that the workers are probably sick of answering the question of whether or not the Alamo has a basement a dozen times a day.  Luckily for us, I remembered the ending of the show where it is revealed that unbelievably the Alamo doesn't have a basement, so we were spared the embarrassment of asking.  There was a bar right around the corner called The Basement, though.
We were surprised that the Alamo is right smack dab in the middle of downtown San Antonio.  Completely unexpected.

After the Alamo we headed down to the famed Riverwalk.  Wow, what a place.  We loved the atmosphere and all of the restaurants tucked right in along the river.  It was Alison's turn to pick the dinner restaurant and with a little prodding I convinced her to pick some famous Texas barbeque.  
Much of the trip was spent Volt-spotting because we revealed to Angie and Hyrum that we were planning on purchasing a Volt.  We saw a couple on the trip, this black one was in Austin, where we detoured to spend the night at one of the Marston's friend's houses.

That evening we returned to Houston (after mall-hopping in Austin looking for some over-priced Gap store or something).  Alison and I snuck out and scalped some tickets to watch her favorite band Radiohead live at the Toyota Center.  The seats were ok, but it was a blast to be there.


Sunday led us to Church with the Marstons after Hyrum and I went on a splendid morning walk through the old neighborhoods of the Houston Heights.  I took a ton of pictures of old houses, but I'm not sure what I'll ever do with them. At least I didn't waste any film.


We loved abandoning the cold February/March weather of Utah and we were lucky to have nearly perfect weather on our visit.  Thanks to Ang and Hyrum for offering a safe place to rest our heads.

2 comments:

Tim said...

LOVE PeeWee's big adventure. I would ask them on purpose just to see their response.

Rachelle said...

10 years ago, on a night just like this...