It must be Monday...
Mondays are my longest day of the week (as far as school is concerned anyways). While not as bad as other semesters I've got three classes, a break for a couple of hours and then an awful lab from 3:00-6:00 PM. Today during my break I went up to a design team meeting in Farmington for a big development (around 1,000,000 square feet) we are working on there. On my drive up, the interstate was clear for a couple of hundred yards ahead of me, but out of the blue my windshield was smacked with a rock leaving a chip out of my window. I had to leave the meeting early to get back to my lab and while getting onto the freeway I hit a decent sized pothole. I was hoping that nothing serious had happened but I could tell that my alignment was screwed up. A couple of miles down the interstate, I knew that my tire was flat as well so I pulled over to change it.
I pulled the spare and tools out of the trunk and was pleased to see that everything was there in good condition as I’ve never had a flat in Lurp (fyi. Lurp is my car) before. I took off two of the lug nuts and got the other two started but was having trouble getting them off. For probably 15-20 minutes I sat there trying to unscrew the lugs but the threads had obviously been ruined. Trying one last time, I busted the whole bolt off one of them. There were only four lug nuts and I figured that I would feel okay driving with three of them connected, but I still had one more nut to take off. I didn’t want to break it, but I figured I had nothing to lose seeing as I’d be calling a tow truck anyways. Well, I busted the last bolt off and then didn’t feel safe driving on a spare tire held on by two lug nuts so I called for a tow.
My Grandpa came and picked me up (Ada was sleeping and needed her sleep because she was sick) and we followed the tow truck into Salt Lake where I had the car dropped off. They were able to repair the rim and lug nuts, I had to get 2 new tires (the one had run-flat damage and I replaced the other because it was pretty well worn) and get an alignment done. $400 later, Lurp is good as new.
Two weeks ago we spent almost $900 repairing Lurp’s clutch. Last week we spent $770 replacing the Malibu’s brakes (front and back) and getting it to pass inspection and registered. And to think that only four weeks ago Alison and I were talking about how we haven’t had to have any big car repairs done for quite some time. That’s the last time we’ll say that aloud.