Saturday, August 11, 2007

Summer Wedding

Alison and I had the chance to attend the wedding of one of her friends at the Salt Lake Temple today. Kim Locher married Paul Kindred. I don't remember the name of the guy that performed their wedding but he was fantastic (If anyone reading this does, then let me know in the comments). It is fun to remember when Alison and I were married more than 4 years ago. In comparison to most of our friends, we're the oldies. I especially enjoyed a poem by the great western poet Carl Sandburg (1878-1967) that the sealer shared. He wrote this poem for his wife before she died.

I Love You - by Carl Sandburg

I love you for what you are, but I love you yet more for what you are going to be.

I love you not so much for your realities as for your ideals.

I pray for your desires that they may be great, rather than for your satisfactions, which may be so hazardously little.

A satisfied flower is one whose petals are about to fall.

The most beautiful rose is one hardly more than a bud wherein the pangs and ecstasies of desire are working for a larger and finer growth.

Not always shall you be what you are now.

You are going forward toward something great.

I am on the way with you and therefor I love you.

No comments: