Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Plan

As I mentioned last week, I've been working hard to try and lose a bit of weight. Here's a vague outline of my plan. In order to cut down on my caloric intake, for breakfast and lunch I have been eating 1 serving of cereal. I choose from cereals like Special K, corn flakes, kix, etc. I've been eating a banana with my meal in the mornings and during the day I also try and eat an orange or apple and some carrots or something. I didn't really want to remove all of the fat from my diet so I've been eating a small handful of sunflower seeds during the afternoons. Our dinners haven't changed too much - but I know that Alison has been trying hard to plan healthier meals (more soups, stews, etc). We went out for pizza (at Litza's, our favorite) on New Year's Day to celebrate, but another big part of this plan is to avoid eating out during the month of January (this is actually a budgeting goal, if someone else is paying we're all over it). It's good to eat at home, pack lunches and plan our meals a little better.

Another part of the plan is to exercise. Since about the beginning of fall semester I have been exercising almost daily. I'm following a plan that I read about here. It consists of 5 exercises that you do a certain number of, depending on what stage you are on. I spend about a week on each stage and I'm on the 12th stage right now. In addition to these exercises (which I try and do in the mornings) I stop by the gym after work or school and ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes or so. I'm not trying to go too crazy because more important to me than losing the weight quickly is formulating healthy habits that will pay dividends in the future.

4 comments:

tysqui said...

And as you can see from my newly updated graph (at the top of my blog) I'm 46% of the way there! Not too shabby!

Hyrum said...

Keep up the good work Tyler. I can't believe you are already 46% of the way there.

I am on detox this week. A bowl of whole grain cereal for breakfast and a homemade no fat, low sodium vegetable soup for lunch and dinner. I've probably dropped my caloric intake by 75% and I've lost 5 lbs since Monday.

Aside from always being hungry, I feel great. I am amazed at how much energy I have. I wanted to detox first and then readjust to a healthier eating habit. So far so good.

sdande said...

Well done Tyler...am I going to recognize you the next time I see ya? haha So after going through all of my exercise science courses at usu and to apply the few nutrition tips i've learned in med school so far, the most common theme is to always make sure we burn more calories than we bring in. There are several other factors that I know you are aware of such as genetics and metabolism, but getting control of portion sizes would go a long way to cure America's Obesity "problem"(I don't mean to get on a soap box). Another surefire way of losing weight is to get sick. I've lost 10 lbs in one week after being sick...but that's not exactly the most "healthy" way to lose it...:)

I recently read a study stating that Utah has one of the top 5 lowest obesity rates among adults in the country...guess who was the highest...West Virginia, mmmm deep fried chicken! Anyway, good for you with sticking to a plan. So do you still park in the furthest stall away from buildings, or "heart park" and run in?

Chris and Jen said...

Diet!? I thought you looked good with a few extra pounds. I was just starting to think you needed to change the title of your blog seeing as how you're not so lurpy anymore. I give you props though. Diets build character