Friday, November 10, 2006

5 Reasons I'm 'not sad' the Democrats have Control of the House and Senate

The democrats have now taken over the house and the senate. They have 51-49 in the senate and a little larger majority in the house. They do not have enough votes to override a veto by President Bush. In my opinion this is a good thing. It will now force them to make a few compromises and I sincerely hope that they will work together a little more to get things done. Here are 5 reasons that a democratic congress will be good under our republican president:

1. Donald Rumsfield will resign and there will be inquiries into pre-war intel and whether or not it was misused (Woohoo! Don Rumsfield resigned the day after the elections. He knew the people had spoken. I'm really not sure why Bush didn't let him resign earlier...).

2. The minimum wage will be raised from it's current $5.15 an hour. It's been $5.15 for more than a decade now I believe. When I was in high school, I was making this minimum wage. During that same time tuition at the U has increased more than 85%. Do you see a problem here? Chris Cannon obviously doesn't believe this because he said "Nobody in Utah is on minimum wage. If they are they need to go back to school or down to the local McDonald's and get a better job." I would never have voted for somebody so out of touch with his constituents. For the record, I know people making the minimum wage - and they obviously can't afford to go back to school because tuition is increasing many times faster than inflation and their pay rate.

3. Stem-cell research. I am of the opinion that "life does not begin in a petri dish." I believe you can be anti-abortion and pro stem-cell research.

4. A more balanced budget. President Bush inherited the largest budget surplus in the history of the US. It did not last long under his policies of "fiscal responsibility." It probably isn't too good for the economy down the road with as much borrowing as we do. I won't be sad to see tax cuts repealed that were given to the rich and the large 'republican-friendly' corporations.

5. More qualified candidates. With a democrat majority, Bush will have to appoint candidates that are actually qualified for the position. Start with the nomination of John Bolton. He is a UN basher and has never been on good terms with the UN. Bush wants him to be the United States Ambassador to the UN. That will put a really good face on United States diplomacy at the United Nations...

I think that I could find more reasons - but you get the picture. Maybe we've 'Stayed the Course' for a little longer than we should have.

No comments: