Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bush and Iraq

President Bush gave a speech tonite about a change of strategy in Iraq. 'Stay the Course' has thankfully been placed behind us now. If you didn't get a chance to hear his speech, take a minute to read the transcript here. Here is what I thought of the speech.

First of all, I was glad to see him take the blame for the mistakes in Iraq. He said: "Where mistakes have been made, the responsibility rests with me."

I don't know whether or not I support the deployment of more troops to Iraq or not. I would much prefer the troops to be coming home. If I knew that more troops would really help bring peace to a country that has had sectarian struggles for hundreds of years then I would be all for the deployment. As it stands...

I hope that this war will end quickly. I hope that someday I will find out what the 'real' reason was for Bush starting the war in Iraq. Was it WMDs, Saddam, oil, al-qaeda, to redeem his father, to show the democrats who's boss, to be a hero or any number of other reasons. I don't believe that we have heard the real reason for the war from the administration.

No comments: