Monday, February 16, 2015

Washington DC (Day 4)

We spent most of the day today at the National Zoo.  Just like all of the other Smithsonian Museums it's free! Our hotel was sold out for Friday night, so we had to pack up and load our car in order to change hotels later that night.  We loaded our car and left it in the parking garage (at $35/day or something).

We then walked down to the metro to take the subway north to the stop for the zoo.

Mot of the pictures that we took at the zoo are of the girls posing with the animal statues and sculptures.

Lyla lounging in the stroller.

I think this animal is an Andean Bear.

Hanging out with the river otters.

You're on your own to find the animals in this picture...

We got there right at feeding time for the river otters. Here they are running for their food.

Riding the river otters.

The panda sculpture.


Sam Eagle.

The giant panda.  We've now seen the giant pandas in San Diego and DC, there are also some in Atlanta and Memphis (interestingly, nine other zoos have had giant pandas in the United States at oe time or another).

A closeup.

We caught this cute little guy slipping down the hill a bit.

Elephant pee.  Who doesn't love talking about elephant pee?

After such an interesting fact, imagine our surprise when we caught an elephant relieving HIMself of a few gallons.

I can't tell what the next sculpture is. There's a couple of girls in the way.

A pride of lions.

We caught the pride on video:

Riding the bear.

The escalators down to the Cleveland Park metro station.  These long escalators reminded me of the metro stations in Moscow.  Nearly all of the stations there are deep underground, I think it was because the stations were to double as nuclear shelters.

We took the metro back to our hotel, picked up our car and made our way to Arlington.

We parked at the cemetery and walked up to the eternal flame at JFK's grave.

The number of graves was spectacular.

The cemetery still hosts around 30 funerals per weekday.

The eternal flame for John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Buried next to his wife Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis.

From the Kennedy gravesite.  You can see the Lincoln Memorial in the background.

We then made our way over to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

We made it just in time to watch the changing of the guards.

It took about 10 minutes.  Silence, standing and respect were mandatory.

There are currently more than 400,000 graves in the cemetery.

Our next stop was at the Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Memorial, dedicated 1954). It was getting dark, but we were able to get a few pictures.  After a long day of walking through the zoo and cemetery Ada and Kate elected to stay in the car.

I like this picture, You can see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial and Capitol Building in the distance across the Potomac.

Our last stop was at the Good Stuff Eatery where we got Toasted Marshmallow Shakes.  We looked for Obama, but he wasn't there.

That night we stayed at the Westin in Georgetown.  I pulled up to the valet and they were helping us get our bags out of the car. I looked up and Ada was standing in front of our car puking all over the valet pull through.  I pretended not to notice,,,, we checked in and took our bags up to our room, then I had to return to the valet to self-park our car.  They had hosed down the area, I apologized and left a generous tip (even though I was self-parking) and I went on my merry way. Luckily, just as with Kate, it was a one time thing. Ada's puking was probably due to the fact that she had a just had a big sweet shake. I'm just glad that I didn't have to clean it up!

1 comment:

squiute said...

Every time I was in DC for school or work and rode the escalators, that went down a long way, I would tell whoever was with me about the deep, deep escalators in Moscow. Good memories!